DIY Insect Spray for the garden.
I have been struggling for a while now with ants, aphids, scale and spider mite in my garden.
It only affects certain plants: My Hibiscus, Gardenia and Lemon Trees with ants on my Kalanchoe when they flower.
I have always used malasol to spray, but to be honest I don’t use it too often as I hate mixing it up and using it. It’s very toxic and the chemical smell is so overwhelming that it often makes me feel ill.
I recently came across a few methods for using essential oils in the garden to deter pests. It’s like a switch was flipped. I don’t know why I never thought of this before, but it’s genius. So I started doing what I do best: researching the heck out of which oils to use for my DIY bug spray.
I have since mixed up a batch and am very pleased with the results. Today I’m going to share what I’ve learned with you. If you have a recipe that works well for you please share it with me!
A dark glass spray bottle (mine is 100ml from www.essentiallynatural.co.za)
Some dish soap (I would have preferred Castille soap, but I didn’t have any on hand)
Essential Oils of your choice. The oils I chose were Peppermint, Sweet Orange and Cedarwood
I found this hand dandy guide on www.hippiehomemaker.com (http://www.thehippyhomemaker.com/using-essential-oils-home-garden-kill-pests-diy-bugs-b-gone-home-garden-spray/) that you can use as a starting point.
- Ants: Peppermint, spearmint, garlic, citronella, orange, cedarwood
- Aphids: Cedarwood, hyssop, peppermint, spearmint, orange, cedarwood
- Beetles: Peppermint, thyme, garlic, cedarwood, orange
- Caterpillars: Peppermint, spearmint, cedarwood, orange
- Chiggers: Lavender, lemongrass, sage, thyme, cedarwood, orange
- Cutworm: Thyme, sage, cedarwood, orange
- Fleas: Lavender, lemongrass, peppermint, cedarwood, citronella, tansy, orange
- Flies: Lavender, peppermint, rosemary, sage, citronella, tansy, cedarwood, orange, lemongrass, lemon, thyme, tea tree, sandalwood, patchouli
- Gnats: Patchouli, spearmint, orange, citronella, tagetes, cedarwood, peppermint, eucalyptus, rose geranium
- Mosquitoes: Lavender, lemongrass, orange, citronella, tansy, cedarwood, peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, thyme, rose geranium, clove, blue cypress, cinnamon, sage
- Head Lice: Lavender, tea tree, geranium, spearmint, peppermint, pine, thyme, orange, rosemary, cedarwood
- Plant Lice: Peppermint, spearmint, cedarwood, orange
- Moths: Cedarwood, hyssop, lavender, peppermint, spearmint, citronella, orange
- Roaches: Cedarwood, eucalyptus, cinnamon, thyme, orange
- Slugs: Cedarwood, hyssop, pine, garlic, orange
- Snails: Cedarwood, pine, patchouli, garlic, orange
- Spiders: Peppermint, spearmint, lemon, lime, orange, citrus, lavender, citronella, cedarwood
- Ticks: Lavender, lemongrass, orange, sage, thyme, citronella, tea tree, geranium, cedarwood, tansy, eucalyptus, sweet myrrh
- Weevils: Cedarwood, patchouli, sandalwood, orange
What I did:
Fill your spray bottle about ¼ of the way with dish soap
Add the filtered water
Add your essential oils (I used 10 drops of each) put the lid on and shake well
Spray it on the infestation your plants. Make sure you saturate it from all angles and spray the underside of the leaves as well.
Reapply if needed.
I did reapply because I wanted to make sure I go every last bit of the infestation. For less severe cases I think you will only need a little bit, but judge it on a case by case basis.