Knitting project: Little Hearts



It has become a bit of a tradition for me to welcome new additions to friends and family with a handmade jersey. I love the sentiment behind sitting down to make a jersey. Knitting is one of my favourite things to do.

I decided to knit this jersey for the newest addition who will be joining us in March. It is such a sweet little knit with adorable heart colour work around the yoke. I won’t lie to you this one gave me a run for my money. I have made this jersey a total of three times before I finally got it right.


It uses incredibly fine yarn and needles which, while not impossible, were harder to work with than I anticipated. I also made a lot of rookie mistakes like not keeping track of my stitches… I still can’t believe I did that.
This was the first time I had attempted this type of colour work and I learned a lot along the way. The first attempt looked like it would fit an octopus baby. The neck shaping was all wrong. I bought another ball of wool and decided to start from scratch.

The back of the work looking good aftet 3 attempts

After examining the images that accompanied the pattern incredibly closely, I figured that the person who made the pattern had left out a decrease row. I counted the stitches in the images and added in a decrease row before finishing up and it worked perfectly. Now the jersey actually has a neckline, which it didn’t before.
I have done a lot of Googling and Youtube watching since then and have picked up a few tips that definitely made things easier the third time around.

Firstly, I found it helpful to use needles one size up when doing the colour work. I found I was knitting a lot tighter than normal so using larger needles helped keep the gauge.

I also found that holding my main colour in my right hand and throwing the wool, while holding my contract colour in my left hand and picking the wool made things go a lot faster. This took quite a bit of practice before I was 100% comfortable with it and I have to watch a lot of tutorials to get the gist of it. But now I find it to be the easiest way.

I also found that carrying the floats every three to four stitched resulted in a much neater wrong side and helped keep the correct tension.

I’m really proud of how this came out and I will definitely make it again. I already have ideas for what colour combination I’d like to use.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s