Oh my goodness another month has just flown by and my little baby is getting closer and closer to becoming a toddler!
This month has been big for developmental milestones. Willow has changed so much in just a few weeks! She is pulling up on anything and everything and cruises along furniture. She has also mastered the cross crawl and will take a few steps if you are holding her hands – I think this one will be walking before we know it!
Her little personality is coming out more and more these days. She has a stubborn streak a mile wide and will not give in if she can help it. This is especially evident at sleep time which has become a bit of an ordeal for everyone. She will scream and scream until she exhausts herself and goes to sleep – it doesn’t make a difference if she is in her crib or in my arms the screaming is the same. We will need to start sleep training I think, although I seem to be developing screaming immunity. She also won’t eat if she can’t feed herself. I can give her puree, as long as she has something that she can feed herself as well. Stubborn little thing.
Here’s more of what’s been happening this month:
• Has started cross crawling!!! She used to be a bit slow and if she wanted to get somewhere faster she still drops onto her belly and creeps. But these days the belly creeping seems to be a thing of the past and she’s getting to be quite speedy.
• Pulls to standing and would much rather stand than crawl. In fact crawling is soley used to get her to the object she wants to stand at. Also chooses the most dangerous things in the world as support for standing i.e office chairs with wheels, unstable toys, cat food dispensers…
• Has started cruising. I don’t know if she’s doing it on purpose, but while playing at the coffee table she will slowly move all the way around it.
• Slowly but surely is learning how to get back down out of standing. She is anything but elegant as she plops down onto her bum, but at least she’s figuring out that she can get up and down. Who knew teaching a child to bend their knees would be so challenging?!
• Will walk a few steps if an adult holds her hands for support. This child just wants to walk! Its her favourite thing. If I stand her up and hold her hands she will take off walking. We’ve even had a few instances of her running!
• I’m almost convinced she now knows who Mama and Dada are. She never calls me Dada anymore and if she loses sight of me during the day I hear her calling Mama (cue the heart melting right there!)
• She calls all children Baba.
• Sleeps three hours during the day (one two hour nap in the morning and one hour long nap in the afternoon), goes to bed at 7pm and sleeps until 7am with usually one, maybe two night feeds!
• Loves to swim! We had a major heatwave in Johannesburg this month and I often took her to the pool to cool off. She loves the water and hates getting out.
• In her swimming lessons she can flip herself onto her back when submerged, holds onto the side of the pool on her own, can move along the pool edge on her own, can climb in and out and has no issue going under water a few times.
• Claps her hands to songs when I sing and will always clap when I sing ‘If You’re Happy and You Know It’. She is also starting to point at objects and explore things with her index finger and will give high fives (she even says ‘Ha Fa’ when she does it which is the cutest thing ever!).
• In size 4+ nappies! at her last doctor’s appointment weighs 9.5kg in mostly 12 to 18 month clothing with just a few 6 to 12 items.