Half a year already!? It’s all very cliché but how fast is this year flying by? Oh my goodness!
Willow is currently a very busy six month old who is learning, developing and changing by the day. It still blows my mind that a little over a year ago she was the size of a poppy seed and now she’s over 8kg and can sit and roll over! Babies are incredible things.
Last week we had Willow’s six month check-up. The little mite is growing so well! As mentioned she is 8.6kg and is 70cm tall, which is a little above average in height but perfectly average in weight for her age. We always knew she’d be tall.
She is very vocal and loves to yell and ‘sing’. She will also shout you down if you don’t give her enough attention (she did this to the doctor who thought it was hilarious; me not so much…)
Another big development in her life is the commencement of weaning. She has had her first tastes of real food and loves it. She has tried a wide range of veggies and wolfs down food in short order. She is definitely my child.
Here’s a look at what else has been going on this month:
- Rolls from back to tummy – she much prefers to be on her back or sitting up. But if there is an interesting toy to be found she will roll from her back to her tummy to grab it. We made it a game at first – rolling her back and forth to try and get her to do tummy time because she just flips over. Now she does it on her own. However she is still only rolling to one side. My mission is to get her to roll to both left and right.
- No longer sits in the tripod position –she now sits up with a straight strong back. She now also plays with toys in the sitting position and will lean all the way down to fetch what she wants then sit back up again to play with it.
- Is busy cutting her upper teeth – lots of drool and red, swollen gums are our reality at the moment. Also the past few days we’ve had issues with sleep and milk feeds because her mouth is sore. She’s had a few cranky days already.
- She grasps objects well and uses both hands to play with her toys. She is now starting to hold a toy in one hand and reach for another toy with the other. She’s greedy with toys and wants the all toys, all the time.
- She has started doing the Happy Baby pose where she lies on her back and holds onto her feet. Also she has discovered her toes and tries to eat them all the time.
- She is going through her stranger danger phase – it’s not so bad at the moment but she is definitely wary of people she doesn’t know. She is also more clingy and will cry when she can’t see me.
- She loves to bang toys on hard surfaces, especially her high chair!
- She loves riding on Daddy’s shoulders and will laugh and giggle and shriek – it’s too cute!
- She loves stroking the cats and feeling their fur. The cats are not too sure about this new development. But Willow is very gentle and will only yank their hair out occasionally.
- She tries to steal food off my plate all the time.
- She is a very happy girl who smiles and laughs all the time. She especially loves the end of the day when her Daddy comes home from work.
- She has a new car seat because she has outgrown the capsule. This car seat is much better and more comfortable and she loves to look out the window when we go for a drive
- She loves songs and her favourites right now are ‘If You’re Happy and You Know It’, ‘Twinkle, Twinkle’, and ‘Pat-a-Cake’.