Following my post on pregnancy must haves I thought I would do a quick list on what I couldn’t live without for my newborn. Without further ado let’s get into it:
1. Aden and Anais Bamboo Swaddle Blankets – There is only one word for how I feel about these – obsessed! I have a summer baby so heavy receiving blankets don’t work for us. These are so light and airy, but keep the Monkey nice and warm. I also use them to wipe up spit up, or breast milk spills. I have six and use one a day then chuck it in the wash. The best part? The more you wash them the softer they get! Win!
2. Aden and Anais Muslin Easy Swaddle – This was a later purchase and I regret not having it earlier. It makes swaddling so easy. I pop the baby in then secure her nice and tight with the little snaps. It is especially helpful when Willow is battling to settle and needs a little extra prompting.
3. Ewan the Sleep Sheep – This is a really cute white noise machine with three sounds – classical music, rain and a heartbeat. I get Willow settled then put her down in her crib with Ewan playing a sound in the back ground and she goes right off to sleep.
4. Joie Illusions Camping Cot – This is a great compact camping cot that I have set up in our bedroom where Willow sleeps. It has a two settings – raised for newborns and then the standard lower setting for bigger children. It also has a changing table and diaper caddy attached. This makes getting up in the night so much easier.
5. Joie Chrome Travel system – We did a lot of research into the kind of pram that we wanted before we settled on this one and it was a brilliant buy. It is easy to fold and set up, stores neatly in the car, and the car seat is easy to move around with. It is nice and small so I can move it around shopping ailes and restaurants with ease. It even flew to Cape Town with me no problem.
6. Boon Naked Baby Bath – Our house is a little short on storage space so this bath worked out perfectly for us. It is made of plastic and silicon and it folds flat for easy storage. I love it.
7. Ergo 360 Baby Carrier – We went through a lot of trouble to get this and I’m so glad we did. It made flying to Cape Town on my own a breeze, it frees up my hands so I can do some chores around the house and it makes shopping easy. Also I find that if Willow is battling to settle strapping her up in this and then going for a walk puts her right to sleep. Another plus is that I can get out and about with her so I don’t feel like a prisoner in my own home. But what I love most is that it will grow with her and we will get a lot of use out of it.
8. A swiss ball – I know this sounds a little weird, but when you have a fractious baby and your back is killing you and you just can’t walk around the living room one more time then this is a life saver! You can sit and bounce gently with the baby. Willow quite enjoys the motion and it calms her. Its also great for a fun game for tummy time.
9. Tiny Love Play Gym – Willow is really starting to enjoy her play gym and I can use it to keep her occupied while I run to the bathroom or to make a cup of tea. It had dangling toys and bright colours that attract her. And this is another item that will grow with her.